Forums

Miscellaneous

Lockdown Positivity

Posted in Off Topic

The Dark Carnival (Orzel) 18 April 2020, 10:24
Undoubtedly Coronavirus is wholly unpleasant and the wider effects are pretty grim.... so let's have a positives thread to see some of the small silver linings of what's going on in the world and escape the negativity.

1) NHS are getting the recognition they deserve. Sad that it takes a pandemic to make people realise what a brilliant job they do.

2) The increased amount of time at home for many of us has allowed us to spend an awful lot more time with our families than we normally would be able to.

3) The time at home can be used for good. A lot more people are taking notice of exercise etc. I've managed to change my diet and start using the stupidly expensive treadmill we bought a year ago - I've lost a stone and a half, and still going. Halfway to my overall goal weight now.

Bolton Wanderers (Paul) Forum moderator 18 April 2020, 15:22
All key workers too, often people doing jobs we take for granted but we would really struggle without them. I think it's made me appreciate the small things more, again, things I would've taken for granted previously. ....and I've got a new hobby of gardening ....stooopid fecking dandelions smiley smiley smiley smiley

Final Whistle (join) 18 April 2020, 15:36
Bolton Wanderers wrote:
stooopid fecking dandelions smiley smiley smiley smiley
You have free food and medicine in your garden and you're complaining smiley

Nutrition

Plate of sauteed dandelion greens, with Wehani rice
Raw dandelion greens contain high amounts of vitamins A, C, and K, and are moderate sources of calcium, potassium, iron, and manganese.[39] Raw dandelion greens are 86% water, 9% carbohydrates, 3% protein, and 1% fat.[39] A 100 gram reference amount supplies 45 calories.

Edibility

Bunches of organic dandelion greens for sale at Whole Foods
The entire plant, including the leaves, stems, flowers, and roots, is edible and nutritious. Dandelions are found on 6 continents and have been gathered for food since prehistory, but the varieties commercially cultivated for consumption are mainly native to Eurasia and North America. A perennial plant, its leaves grow back if the taproot is left intact. To make leaves more palatable, they are often blanched to remove bitterness,[27] or sauteed in the same way as spinach.[44] Dandelion leaves and buds have been a part of traditional Kashmiri cuisine, Albanian cuisine, Slovenian, Sephardic Jewish, Chinese, Greek cuisine (χόρτα) and Korean cuisines. In Crete, the leaves of a variety called 'Mari' (Μαρί), 'Mariaki' (Μαριάκι), or 'Koproradiko' (Κοπροράδικο) are eaten by locals, either raw or boiled, in salads. T. megalorhizon, a species endemic to Crete, is eaten in the same way; it is found only at high altitudes (1000 to 1600 m) and in fallow sites, and is called pentaramia (πενταράμια) or agrioradiko (αγριοράδικο).[45]

The flower petals, along with other ingredients, usually including citrus, are used to make dandelion wine. Its ground, roasted roots can be used as a caffeine-free coffee alternative.[46] Dandelion was also traditionally used to make the traditional British soft drink dandelion and burdock, and is one of the ingredients of root beer. Dandelions were once considered delicacies by the Victorian gentry, who used them mostly in salads and sandwiches.

The flowers of dandelions are typically eaten before they start to become seed heads, as although the fluffy "parachutes" are edible they are tasteless and their texture is considered unpleasant.

Bolton Wanderers (Paul) Forum moderator 18 April 2020, 15:45
I'll put them all in a box and mail them to ya smiley

Crackalackin (Leroy) 19 April 2020, 22:23
It’s got to be a positive that Liverpool might not win the league right? smiley

Lateside united (KK) 19 April 2020, 22:43
Good thing for lock down for me is golf course too my self and plenty of quality time with the family

Manchester United AFC (Ole Gunnar Solskjaer) 20 April 2020, 01:25
Crackalackin wrote:
It’s got to be a positive that Liverpool might not win the league right? smiley
smiley

It's also a great time to pick up some new skills and to improve your mental and emotional wellbeing.