Forums

Miscellaneous

VAR - what do you think?

Posted in Off Topic

Newcastle U FC (Rolf Bergström) 24 April 2024, 00:10
Exasperated that VAR continues to frustrate in England, Nottingham Forest and Coventry City its latest victims. What do you think? Should:

a) VAR be immediately abandoned in England until the FA can come up with people and processes able to use the technology better, if this is even possible?

b) Carry on with VAR in England but change the processes to provide more help to decision makers in Stockley Park and more camera angles to show to the on-pitch referee including normal speed as well as slow motion?

c) Sack all the staff using VAR in Stockley Park who have made catastrophic errors and bring in a new set of staff after they have undergone rigorous training?

d) Change the offside rule so that attackers level (+/- 5cm) are considered onside?

e) Carry on as we are.

f) Allow each coach 1 appeal per half following a VAR decision they disagree with. If their appeal is upheld, they get to keep an extra appeal.

My preferences would be b), d) and f).

Rookery Park (Matt Colley) 24 April 2024, 01:36
Message deleted

Rompmonsters (Andy) 4 May 2024, 20:08
I definitely think VAR needs to be revamped, both in terms of the people making the decisions and in terms of the way in which those decisions are communicated.

Being a VAR referee doesn't require the same fitness levels as being an on-field referee and they should absolutely be training people who are not on-field referees to work the job. When a referee is scared to undermine his mate out on the pitch it undermines the whole process.

In an ideal world there would be some kind of appeal system but I think the amount of time that stands to add to matches would become tiresome, we're already seeing matches go to 100+ minutes played regularly. If it could be streamlined I'd welcome it but I don't want a half-baked system put in place. I also agree that having the referee able to see the full context back is crucial, we've had single frame decisions where the referee only sees an impact frame that completely biases their decision.

In terms of accountability I think there needs to be a monthly review of all of the decisions that went to VAR and whether the outcome was correct or not. If a penalty gets given for handball one month and then it is agreed that it was an incorrect decision that now sets the correct precedent for the next time the same potential handball decision is called. If there is no review then the precedent for the next time is a penalty and consistency would suggest it should be given.