Forums

Miscellaneous

Ads help us run this site

Posted in General

Rangers FootbalI Club (PK) Forum moderator 24 May 2018, 23:06

King Cobras FC (Ben) 25 May 2018, 10:28
Arsenäl FC wrote:
As many of you may be aware, you will now see the headline above at the bottom of VM pages. So many companies are now trying to clean up their act in relation to sharing our data. When i click on it, there are many companies that require opt out if i don't want information collected about me and shared. My question is...Do i have to click on every single company separately to opt out? It's a terrible pain.
No you don’t have to click on every single one, at the top it says “allow all” double click on that and it will disable every single one except for those that says they “require opt out”

Whittall United (Grant) 25 May 2018, 10:34
King Cobras FC wrote:
Arsenäl FC wrote:
As many of you may be aware, you will now see the headline above at the bottom of VM pages. So many companies are now trying to clean up their act in relation to sharing our data. When i click on it, there are many companies that require opt out if i don't want information collected about me and shared. My question is...Do i have to click on every single company separately to opt out? It's a terrible pain.
No you don’t have to click on every single one, at the top it says “allow all” double click on that and it will disable every single one except for those that says they “require opt out”
Thats all well and good, but theres still around half that need you to opt out, which isnt gonna be a simple task, especially when nobody has given VM the right to share this info.

King Cobras FC (Ben) 25 May 2018, 10:37
Whittall United wrote:
King Cobras FC wrote:
Arsenäl FC wrote:
Thats all well and good, but theres still around half that need you to opt out, which isnt gonna be a simple task, especially when nobody has given VM the right to share this info.
Yea I understand that which is why I put it in my reply but it’s better than having to click on every one separately, having to do 50% is better than 100% smiley

Arsenäl FC (International Quad Champion) Forum moderator 25 May 2018, 11:14
King Cobras FC wrote:
Whittall United wrote:
King Cobras FC wrote:
Arsenäl FC wrote:
Yea I understand that which is why I put it in my reply but it’s better than having to click on every one separately, having to do 50% is better than 100% smiley
I know my question was Do i have to click on every single company separately to opt out? But i meant the companies that require me to opt out smiley

Frankies acre bhoys (all players transfer listed) 25 May 2018, 14:46
personally I think all the companys have our data regardless opt out or not the ads been up a full day now;and no explanation from vm;would be interesting to hear if anyone put in a ticket and what there reply was

King Cobras FC (Ben) 25 May 2018, 15:02
Arsenäl FC wrote:
King Cobras FC wrote:
Whittall United wrote:
King Cobras FC wrote:
Arsenäl FC wrote:
I know my question was Do i have to click on every single company separately to opt out? But i meant the companies that require me to opt out smiley
ahhh, misunderstanding....... smiley

FC Sunnyvale (Bubbles) Developer 25 May 2018, 16:51
Oh christ... IT's the EU's GDPR legal requirements scaring the bejeezus out of people all over the continent today.

What you have to understand is that all of this is cover-our-asses legalese, which is why it sounds scary.

We're not "sharing" your "personal information" in any way that a normal sensible person would understand the words "sharing" and "personal information".

Look, when you access anything at all on the internet, the server you're requesting it from gets your IP address and information about your browser, operating system and a bunch of other stuff.

That's the way that the internet works, and has since it was first created. If the server doesn't get your IP address, how would it know where to send you the page or image that you're requesting? If it didn't know what browser you're using, how would it know to redirect you to a mobile version, for instance? It's just the legalese that makes it sound scary.

And in the GDPR, an IP address is now considered personal information even though it's only your internet service provider that can possibly know who you actually are based just on that.

So obviously, when you view an ad on the site, your browser requests the ad content from our ad agency's server. And, they know that you viewed the ad on www.virtualmanager.com. And then, if you view another site that uses the same ad agency, then they know not to show you the same ad again, because they set a cookie to recognize the browser next visit.... which that popup gives you the option to disable.

That only thing they know about you is that you are "a person or a machine", "using Google Chrome", "on Windows" and that you've visited "virtualmanager.com".

That's it... that's literally all there is. The ads are in no way connected to your Virtual Manager account.

But in legal terms, that constitutes us "sharing personal information".

Also, if for instance FC Razor sends me a text that contains a club's email address... in legal terms, that means that we have then "shared personal information" with his phone company and mine.

Same thing if any of you send a text or email containing someone's full name, email address or such - you have then "shared personal information" with the service provider that transmitted the message.

So, you know those annoying "we use cookies"-popups that have been everywhere on the internet since 2011, and which no one actually reads? This is the exact same thing, just on steroids and with more buttons.

So if you've ever gone to a website in the past 7 years and clicked away one of those cookie-popups, then you've done exactly the same thing as clicking OK on this one

The popup comes from our English ad provider, Venatus Media: https://www.venatusmedia.com/contact

Rangers FootbalI Club (PK) Forum moderator 25 May 2018, 17:27
Well I appreciate the feedback.

The Goon Squad (Very) 2 June 2018, 14:09
Can I stop the pop up by adjusting anything or not