Forums

Miscellaneous

meaning of this sentence

Posted in Translation

Paris Batignolles (Xain) 23 March 2019, 14:10
hello, sorry but too much slang for me, i dont understand the meaning of this sentence :

%{player} has certainly been at it for a long time, but you wouldn't know that by looking at his progression as a player. He's definitely been spinning his wheels, because he hasn't lied up to his potential at all.

Loyals (VMEnhancer) 11 May 2019, 15:58
Zanzibar FC wrote:
%{player} has certainly been at it for a long time, but you wouldn't know that by looking at his progression as a player. He's definitely been spinning his wheels, because he hasn't lied up to his potential at all.
Pretty sure it is something along these lines - despite not knowing the context.

The player have been working on/putting effort into it for a long time, which one would not be aware of by looking at his progession. He's definitle been working his ass off without any return on the work (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spin_one%27s_wheels), as he hasn't lived up to his potential.

Herning FC (nummi) 5 May 2020, 02:59
Don't feel bad, that's definitely not what the idiom means. Spinning one's wheels refers to someone being stagnant. The meaning of the sentence, though, was explained by the guy above me.