Free Vm Premium< But More Ads

Posted in Ideas/development

Team Alexander (Alexander) 5 August 2020, 15:09
Peemu Tukki FC wrote:
Alex Samin wrote:
Whittall United wrote:
You guys do make me laugh smiley

Tell us whats been lost?
The amount if ads I've seen here is just too many, no other game has this much!
Didn’t you want there to be more ads?? smiley
Yes, just saying what you'll lose out on.

The Dark Carnival (Orzel) 6 August 2020, 10:45
So the guy who started this, is saying subscription model should be scrapped in favour of ads, that there are already too many ads, and the devs don't communicate if I have it right?

I'm just going to point out that the Devs literally wrote a blog on this in February. I think that ticks the box of communication, and the content explains all the issues raised in this post.

Not sure how it has got to page 4 without this being posted to be honest.

https://www.virtualmanager.com/blog/1014-youth-squads-beta-and-ad-free-subscription

Ad-free subscription
Can we all agree that ads stink?

I think we can, but at this point they are necessary, as Virtual Manager would otherwise be running a deficit.

Over the years, it has often been suggested that we should introduce a slightly more expensive subscription, which in turn is ad-free, which has also been repeated here in recent days.

It's an idea that has been discussed for several years in a row on the annual crew day with our volunteer crew, who have supported the idea and made their suggestions on what it should cost.

GDPR was painful

When the GDPR went into effect in May 2018, we saw a drastic decline in ad revenue. Below are the payouts at the beginning of 2018 from our English advertising provider, how provide all the advertisements shown to non-Danish users:

January 2018 $655.29
February 2018 $671.18
March 2018 $627.79
April 2018 $606.35
May 2018 $690.99
June 2018 $440.38
July 2018 $391.20
August 2018 $286.64
The figures are in USD.

I used the figures from our English advertising provider, as our Danish provider does not give as good access to historical monthly data, but the turnover of the Danish banners had a similar decline. If you multiply the foreign ad revenue figures by 8x, you are very close to the Danish banner revenue, which lines up with the distribution of Danish vs. non-Danish users.

It is quite clear that revenue fell sharply from May to June and continued downward. The latest figures from this year are around $200 a month.

The only solution the ad providers could offer was more, larger and more disruptive advertising. Boo.

Whittall United (Grant) 6 August 2020, 12:21
Nice write up Tom, but pointless smiley

Obviously the op has done all that homework, because the way he wants the game ran, he has surely taken everything into account, and has access to all the financials of VM, how else would he know whats best smiley

Understated Excellence (Messiah) 8 August 2020, 23:10
Alex Samin wrote:
Understated Excellence wrote:
Whittall United wrote:
If one can simply not afford the pennies to play, then one must sort their life out, its that simple.

Its ok as it is, you get plenty to do from the free game.
Spare a pound mister........

haha
Not gonna lie bro, you're not funny.
Thanks for your honesty
Comedy tour cancelled

Understated Excellence (Messiah) 8 August 2020, 23:17
Personally given the ad revenue is so poor, i'd take the decision to scrap it, give all Non-Premium user 30 days grace, if they don't pay, their membership is revoked and make this a pay to play game only.

New users would get 2month trial and then if they don't pay, their time on the game would be done also

I'd reduce the league sizes and divisions down to accommodate for the natural wastage

Leagues would be more competitive as everyone is paying to be here.

I think if some top amateur clubs have their hands forced they will raid their piggy banks and pay.

I'd be willing to pay a little more subscription to make up for the loss of advert revenue, if it meant we got rid of the whiney freebie hunters that plague this game.

Whittall United (Grant) 9 August 2020, 23:54
Understated Excellence wrote:
Personally given the ad revenue is so poor, i'd take the decision to scrap it, give all Non-Premium user 30 days grace, if they don't pay, their membership is revoked and make this a pay to play game only.

New users would get 2month trial and then if they don't pay, their time on the game would be done also

I'd reduce the league sizes and divisions down to accommodate for the natural wastage

Leagues would be more competitive as everyone is paying to be here.

I think if some top amateur clubs have their hands forced they will raid their piggy banks and pay.

I'd be willing to pay a little more subscription to make up for the loss of advert revenue, if it meant we got rid of the whiney freebie hunters that plague this game.
I like it, especially the last paragraph smiley

SK SLAVIA PRAHA (Manager of SK SLAVIA PRAHA) 11 August 2020, 08:08
It is already pay to play you dummies. It is like playing a demo version if you dont pay. Trade trade trade. Only thing you can do that is not restricted for non paying users. Try to play without VM premium and you will see.

Team Alexander (Alexander) 11 August 2020, 09:47
SK SLAVIA PRAHA wrote:
It is already pay to play you dummies. It is like playing a demo version if you dont pay. Trade trade trade. Only thing you can do that is not restricted for non paying users. Try to play without VM premium and you will see.
Well said, this is the truth.
Without Vm premium you cannot discover youths, properly train players, use scouts, have a stadium capacity and much more.

Whittall United (Grant) 11 August 2020, 12:19
SK SLAVIA PRAHA wrote:
Oh the irony, its not all pay to play though is it, dummy smiley

You're still here and ain't paying, tell us all again how its pay to play smiley

Just because you may not be able to achieve anything without premium, doesn't mean the same for everybody, seen teams get to the top leagues without premium, takes some effort though, but most certainly achievable.