Forums

Miscellaneous

Brexit: Pantomime season ...

Posted in Off Topic

Harlem Heroes (NCC Legend) 30 March 2019, 12:20
News reports say Ministers are trying to persuade the Prime Minister to leave the EU without a deal. Lets hope they succeed. Nothing to fear from working with WTO rules. We can sort out a deal with the EU later.

SuDoku AFC (Crew Member of the year) Crew 30 March 2019, 13:53
Harlem Heroes wrote:
News reports say Ministers are trying to persuade the Prime Minister to leave the EU without a deal. Lets hope they succeed. Nothing to fear from working with WTO rules. We can sort out a deal with the EU later.
I see the EU are saying "following a no deal Brexit - you will then negotiate with us on a lump sum payment, the Irish border issue and citizens rghts first, before we will tak to you about antything else".
I just hope that if that is the way we leave - our politicians have the backbone to say "no,
we will talk to you as equals on matters that we want to talk about as well as what you want.
= Not on your terms to still be hit over the head with a large stick taking orders from you as before."

I suspect though that if we have the same negotiating team as now - we'll just bend over backwards again - and get spanked - again. smiley

The Dark Carnival (Orzel) 30 March 2019, 16:33
SuDoku AFC wrote:
Harlem Heroes wrote:
I see the EU are saying "following a no deal Brexit - you will then negotiate with us on a lump sum payment, the Irish border issue and citizens rghts first, before we will tak to you about antything else".
I just hope that if that is the way we leave - our politicians have the backbone to say "no,
we will talk to you as equals on matters that we want to talk about as well as what you want.
= Not on your terms to still be hit over the head with a large stick taking orders from you as before."

I suspect though that if we have the same negotiating team as now - we'll just bend over backwards again - and get spanked - again. smiley
The problem is that we're not equals. The EU holds far more cards than the UK does so as ever, the position of power will set the terms of the negotiation.

SuDoku AFC (Crew Member of the year) Crew 30 March 2019, 16:44
No Pukki No Party wrote:
SuDoku AFC wrote:
Harlem Heroes wrote:

The problem is that we're not equals. The EU holds far more cards than the UK does so as ever, the position of power will set the terms of the negotiation.
Well in that case we need to be strong enough to walk away then and take our business elsewhere in the world.
IF we can elect some "strong and stable" leadership (whichever political party) - then we might just (although I do doubt this) be able to get somewhere back towards being Great Britain again.
I do understand that many peope do want to remain subservient to Germany and France - and I do believe that would be better than the current "deal" on offer - but the way things are going we're just going to become a "nobody country" totally swallowed up into the European Project - at which point I will accept that we have become Europeans and forget that Great Britain ever existed.

Lateside united (KK) 30 March 2019, 19:55
The won't be a EU one's we leave the Germans will be out next you mark my words it will fold

Harlem Heroes (NCC Legend) 2 April 2019, 10:30
Another pointless evening of votes by our pointless Parliament. Leaving without a deal with the EU is now the only sensible option. Unfortunately I believe there will be a few more acts to come in this ridiculous pantomime.

CF Galacticos (Dan) 2 April 2019, 12:52
They say that if you give 1000 monkeys 1000 typewriters one will eventually write shakespeare, at this rate they'll have written a brexit option that can actually get through parliament before an mp does, what a joke

SuDoku AFC (Crew Member of the year) Crew 2 April 2019, 20:01
So,
May now wants to tak to Corbyn to "agree her deal".
I'll bet that he readily agrees to talk, but comes out saying "she still wants her deal which we cannot agree".
He then proposes a vote of no confidence, which sufficient Conservatives now agree with and we're off to another General Election.
smiley

(Brackets: which is likely to solve nothing as this really isn't a party political issue.)

SuDoku AFC (Crew Member of the year) Crew 11 April 2019, 01:58
Another 6 months of strife* now then smiley
(> * insert any other short word beginning with s that you may feel more appropriate...)

I just can't wait to be back in this same position come the end of October.

In the mean time ... > have a happy summer everyone smiley

Harlem Heroes (NCC Legend) 11 April 2019, 10:26
SuDoku AFC wrote:
Another 6 months of strife* now then smiley
(> * insert any other short word beginning with s that you may feel more appropriate...)

I just can't wat to be back in this same position come the end of October.

In the mean time ... > have a happy summer everyone smiley
smiley The pantomime continues. UK is the 5th largest economy in the world. We have a trade deficit which makes us a very significant customer. There currently is no deal to be arranged with the EU so the only way to move forward is to leave without a deal. Unfortunately it is probably more likely that we will not leave at all.