Forums

Miscellaneous

Ending a Debate

Posted in Off Topic

Bayern MSV (Dean Stolle) 3 January 2020, 16:51
It's football, not soccer, because you use a foot to kick a ball.

Harlem Heroes (NCC Legend) 3 January 2020, 17:09
What debate?

Bayern MSV (Dean Stolle) 3 January 2020, 18:11
People who call it football and people who call it soccer here in the US argue. Some say it's soccer because we're in the US, not the United Kingdom. But those football believers give actual evidence.

Rawle United (christopher) 4 January 2020, 15:40
Should it not be association football?

King Cobras FC (Ben) 5 January 2020, 22:49
The word soccer though actually originated in Britain, back when Football (Soccer) and Rugby were both called Association Football and Rugby Football respectively, however Oxford University students in the 19th century then creatively called the sports Assoccer (association football) and Rugger (Rugby Football) to distinguish between the two sports, with the former being further shortened to Soccer, these names quickly spread beyond the oxford campus to around Britain, however to be fair the word Soccer was only a nickname for the sport, but it shows it did originate here.

Whittall United (Grant) 6 January 2020, 12:47
King Cobras FC wrote:
The word soccer though actually originated in Britain, back when Football (Soccer) and Rugby were both called Association Football and Rugby Football respectively, however Oxford University students in the 19th century then creatively called the sports Assoccer (association football) and Rugger (Rugby Football) to distinguish between the two sports, with the former being further shortened to Soccer, these names quickly spread beyond the oxford campus to around Britain, however to be fair the word Soccer was only a nickname for the sport, but it shows it did originate here.
And that there is how you end a debate, with facts smiley

Lateside united (KK) 10 January 2020, 17:53
Only daft yanks call it soccer it's football we invented the game and named it football end of debate

King Cobras FC (Ben) 13 January 2020, 23:53
Lateside united wrote:
Only daft yanks call it soccer it's football we invented the game and named it football end of debate
did you just completely bypass my post explaining this? smiley

Whittall United (Grant) 14 January 2020, 16:28
King Cobras FC wrote:
Lateside united wrote:
Yes he did and i love how he says end of debate, as though he has somehow ended it with an opinion, which is infact wrong anyway smiley

King Cobras FC (Ben) 4 February 2020, 21:09
Whittall United wrote:
King Cobras FC wrote:
Lateside united wrote:
Yes he did and i love how he says end of debate, as though he has somehow ended it with an opinion, which is infact wrong anyway smiley
a few weeks late but....i'm glad it's not just me who knows this, the amount of times i have this debate on other sports related sites is scary smiley