Forums

Miscellaneous

Virtual Manager acquired! :O

Posted in Developer's corner

Hindle FC (Florent Sinama-Pongolle) 10 February 2020, 20:36
This is great news for Virtual manager, congratulations smiley

Thank you for everything you have done over the years, long may it continue

Rompmonsters (Andy) 10 February 2020, 21:43
What are the requirements to sign up for the chance to be in the beta?

I literally sold up yesterday to take a break but youth squads might tempt me back so I'd like to at least put my name in the hat

Yutani FC (Kaede Yutani) 10 February 2020, 22:28
I started playing seriously 2 years ago come March I think, but I only knew of Vman due to starting to play it back in middleschool, even if I had no idea of what I was really doing :p I'm 27 now so it's been awhile.

Youth squads has been dangled in front of me since .. the beginning it feels like(the 2 years ago one) :p most likely not entirely accurate, but nevertheless it's been annoying to feel "youth squads! Soon TM" :p

This blog post explains everything, and it all makes sense, and I'm not even annoyed anymore - so congratulations on your acquisition! Everything sounds like we've got a reformation incoming; I'm very hopeful!

Thanks for your hard work, the chance you've taken buying the company --> I'll continue subscribing gladly after reading that blogpost smiley (didn't have a thought to leave yet, but the youth squad endless developement phase really started to grind my gears.)

Can't wait to be able to sign up for beta! Crossing fingers to get into the 10% since I've had youth players ready for awhile who needs to play some matches or get mad at me for not being put on the field xD

Here's to many more years of Vman!

Whittall United (Grant) 10 February 2020, 22:48
Congratulations Dennis, all sounds very positive, looking forward to it smiley

Johns Army (John) Forum moderator 11 February 2020, 00:36
Many congratulations smiley

I have often wondered about keeping the market open 24/7... Only reason being is for those games you have in middle of night to morning anything could happen.. plus for the USA and other countries in different time zones to attract them to play the game smiley shuts at 11pm here that could be like 2pm for someone in USA somewhere right which is early? smiley

FC Clock Face (The Special One) Forum moderator 11 February 2020, 08:28
Congratulations, the hard work really begins now.

Suggestions. Take a long hard look at the youth teams. When it was announced it made me wince because it was basically a great opportunity that was not being taken. It felt like you where splitting the number of players we can have and just making it a chore to keep them all happy. It needs to bring new elements that are interesting, fun, and give an advantage in some way if employed correctly.
I didn't see any of that in the early suggestions. My honest first thought was 'i hope you get the option to opt out and stay as you are as that is not for me'. To many 'updates' to this game have basically taken away functionally and given us a tedious way to get back to where we where before the 'update'. Taking things out and dumbing the game down instead of adding to it.
Don't make the youth system another in a long line of disappointments.

Staff. The system is an absolute farce. It is tedious, boring, unrewarding to sift through staff to find a decent one. It's so bad that I haven't even trained my players in anything but training match for probably a couple of years now. I just have a goalkeeping coach and one outfield coach and I don't even thing they are top notch coaches.

Prize money. Absolutely broken. No reward at all for getting better. Again I've sat in division 3 for years and there is no point getting better. I've got over 400 mil in the bank but it's pointless spending it on players as there is no reward and unless I flip players all day I won't get my money back.

Stadium. Haven't repaired it in years. No point as it's just to expensive. Needs looking at.

Can I suggest you make an account and play another online management game that does most of these things much better? I can message you the name. I think it would be useful to you to generate some ideas.

Daz

FC Sunnyvale (Bubbles) Developer 11 February 2020, 08:42
Bayern Munich wrote:
FC Sunnyvale wrote:
So, we could easily log all of the different statistics that you mentioned, but only during the highlights, so the numbers would be far lower than you'd expect for a 90 minute match. I suppose we could "cheat" and multiply the actual numbers from the detailed simulation by some fixed factor to scale them up.
How are shots/on target handled currently? I believe they "cheat" too, right? So that approach would be in line with current behavior. Honestly, though, even numbers lower than one would expect would be good if they're helping us understand the engine better.
Yes, finishes and finishes on target consist of both the actual events logged during the detailed simulation, plus an additional few that are roughly simulated based on the pressure between highlights.

Osbaston Tigers (Russell) 11 February 2020, 09:09
FC Clock Face wrote:

Prize money. Absolutely broken. No reward at all for getting better. Again I've sat in division 3 for years and there is no point getting better. I've got over 400 mil in the bank but it's pointless spending it on players as there is no reward and unless I flip players all day I won't get my money back.

Stadium. Haven't repaired it in years. No point as it's just to expensive. Needs looking at.
Agree somewhat this. As it stands now, it would be almost impossible to run a club in a sustainable way and make progress upwards without wheeling and dealing in the markets. My personal experience is that I probably make a small loss as a steady Division 3 side day to day, season by season. Even with a good cup run I would barely break even over a steady period. (I've had a skim of the figures, it's close) My income is generated when I sell older players and replace them in the team with youths I've developed, but it's a very slow crawl upwards.

Definitely needs looking at to place more importance on running the club and managing the team rather than the ability to spend time learning the markets, and then time scouring the markets for deals to make profits on. Not knocking those that do that, all credit to them, but it shouldn't be necessary to do so.

FC Sunnyvale (Bubbles) Developer 11 February 2020, 09:13
FC Viitorul Constanta wrote:
First i'd like to know when the beta sign-up system will be released and how can we register? Is it a setting in the account?
It will be either Thursday or Friday. It will appear as a big bold "Youth Squads" link at the top; you can't miss it.
Also I'd like to point out the need for updated manual and better description of the match engine.
I definitely agree.
Also another suggestion is a tweaking the scouting [as with more scouting the reports are not more accurate, as described/advertised]
Right, so right now, every new scout report on a player starts from scratch, basically. Your scout doesn't know anything about what your other scout found out about the same player 2 minutes ago.

So adding something like an increasing confidence level for successive reports on the same player (if the reports are not too far apart) could be very interesting to look at.
and potentially the training [as the lower training facilities are virtually worthless].
Tinkering with training will always be incredibly risky in terms of game balance and has the potential to upset a lot of people.

Each training facility level adds 10% to the overall training results. I'd be hesitant to try and change that for the reasons above.
Also you mentioned that the computing power is much more accessible so why not make a complete match simulation instead of only some specific actions. This way, if for example one player is way superior it will reflect more on the final result. Adding the option of playing with a target man could also be a good addition to the tactics.
Do you mean fully simulating the entire 90 minutes or something else? Right now, the match engine aims for a total of around 2.5 minutes of fully simulated play, so even though computing power is cheaper now, increasing fully simulated play by 36 times would be excessive. Plus, the behaviours of players and their success rates are tuned to produce "something interesting" in the span of the 20-30 seconds that a highlight lasts, so increasing fully simulated play to 90 minutes would require a lot of re-tuning - otherwise we'd get something like 36x more goals in matches smiley

I've noted your suggesting of adding a target man (from others as well) and I quite like the idea.
I'm looking forward for the changes to the me and the match simulator as I noticed a lot of problems between tactics set and the actual applied tactics, for example having my defender pass to opponents forward despite the fact that the tactic is to play long passes.
This sounds like one of those cases where a clearer insight into the player's actual intention would help. It would not only help you understand what the player was trying to do and how he failed at it, but it would also be helpful to myself in identifying cases where their decisions are wrong, so I can fix them.

FC Sunnyvale (Bubbles) Developer 11 February 2020, 09:19
Johns Army wrote:
Many congratulations smiley

I have often wondered about keeping the market open 24/7... Only reason being is for those games you have in middle of night to morning anything could happen.. plus for the USA and other countries in different time zones to attract them to play the game smiley shuts at 11pm here that could be like 2pm for someone in USA somewhere right which is early? smiley
The transfer window was originally conceived to prevent "underpriced" trades that were rampant before, where people would trade incredibly valuable players at low prices in the middle of the night, in order to boost a new club, exploiting the fact that most people were asleep.

So opening it up 24/7 would not without it's problems. Cheat hunters would have to go back to also policing underpriced trades, and new rules would have to be added. So for the time being, while the vast majority of players are clustered and GMT and CET time zones, the transfer window will have to remain as it is, unfortunately.