Forums

Miscellaneous

Can we learn from the match ratings?

Posted in General

Ipswich Town Allstars (Dunx Adams) 16 September 2020, 10:23
https://www.virtualmanager.com/new_matches/78300093

The above match was a surprise result. Two evenly matched teams on paper but a rather one sided match. The home side had 12 shots on target and my goal keeper let in half of them. (A bad day at the office I guess).

However he scored a match rating of 10

I have watched a few real life games and read a report afterwards about the game and wondered how a reporter can rate a particular player so highly, but this has to be ridiculous!

My point is that if the match rating is relevant to overall strategy then it should be reasonably reflective of performance. If it isn't then why do we have it in the game?

Copper Ridge FC (Manager of Copper Ridge FC) 16 September 2020, 21:20
On paper, yeah this looks like a close match. But, a couple of things that I noticed watching the game.

1) Your in-game fatigue level was almost twice that of your opponent.
2) He obviously was using a "Shoot on Sight" play style, which explains the high number of shots. Some of the goals were really far out.
3) I think your goalie just had a bad day on those long shots.

I think this game was mostly an anomaly. But, #1 and #2 above probably did contribute some of it.

Final Whistle (join) 16 September 2020, 23:05
The ratings for the keeper are known to be wrong. It has a lot to do with how the rating system works awarding disproportionately points for saving while not accounting for match result or the ratio between goals scored and goals saved. The good thing is that there will be some improvements in the match tactics and along with it probably the rato ga as well. That will allow to set better tactics for the team, and improve the understanding of what actually happened on the pitch during a game. I for one am looking forward for that.

Final Whistle (join) 16 September 2020, 23:10
Also the game was not close at all, you're kidding yourself that it was. Not to mention the home advantage and the fact that your team was asymmetric with a lot of strengths in the left flank but lacking in mod and right side. Their forwards were better than both your defenders and your keeper. I would have expected 3-1 or 4-2 max, coud go as high as 6-0 or 7-0 and as low as 2-0
But my money would be on one of the first 2 predictions and in between, with less goals for you.

Ipswich Town Allstars (Dunx Adams) 16 September 2020, 23:44
Thanks for your replies. I agree My team was not perfect and the result wasn't my beef. The 10 rating for my keeper was what troubled me.

If this is broken and in need of repair then that makes sense of the final rating. many Thanks

Copper Ridge FC (Manager of Copper Ridge FC) 16 September 2020, 23:56
FC Viitorul Constanta wrote:
Also the game was not close at all, you're kidding yourself that it was. Not to mention the home advantage and the fact that your team was asymmetric with a lot of strengths in the left flank but lacking in mod and right side. Their forwards were better than both your defenders and your keeper. I would have expected 3-1 or 4-2 max, coud go as high as 6-0 or 7-0 and as low as 2-0
But my money would be on one of the first 2 predictions and in between, with less goals for you.
I was going to say something about the alignment. But honestly, I have noticed that the positions in VM seem to mean very little in the end. As long as a player is on a green spot and not penalized, I don't think it matters much. It should matter. But, I don't think it really does.

Ipswich Town Allstars (Dunx Adams) 17 September 2020, 10:48
This has also been my experience. I don't worry too much about symetrical formations although I have found some formations seem more effective than others.

Final Whistle (join) 17 September 2020, 19:30
Ipswich Town Allstars wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I agree My team was not perfect and the result wasn't my beef. The 10 rating for my keeper was what troubled me.

If this is broken and in need of repair then that makes sense of the final rating. many Thanks
I have had the same question some 6-8 months ago, and it's what they've told me. But I was mostly on the other side of the dilemma where my better forwards had lots of shots on goal and due to 'shoot on sight' setting only a very few got scored despite sometimes the keeper being quite modest, compared to my forwards. It also seems there is some penalty involved...
Looking forward for the next improvements and the more detailed description of the 'behind the scenes' for the match engine.

Ardmore Rangers (James Johnston) 13 October 2020, 09:02
https://www.virtualmanager.com/new_matches/79217773/summary We can learn that this game really has issues!

Rookery Park (Matt Colley) 13 October 2020, 16:53
Ardmore Rangers wrote:
https://www.virtualmanager.com/new_matches/79217773/summary We can learn that this game really has issues!
You lost 1-0 in a tight match, am I missing something?