Forums

Miscellaneous

Vifa rank

Posted in General

Understated Excellence (Messiah) 13 April 2019, 19:55
How does vifa rank and points work? I can see teams above me with less points so it isn't how I thought eg, most points 1st, next highest 2nd etc

Forest Fire (Marv) 13 April 2019, 20:29
Vifa rank is updated once a day, with teams put in the correct order, using the points accumulated throughout the day.

SuDoku AFC (Crew Member of the year) Crew 13 April 2019, 20:42
Used to be at 2am ...

It's been a while since I've been still up at that time of night so not 100% sure that's still accurate -
but certainly "overnight".

Understated Excellence (Messiah) 13 April 2019, 21:06
Makes sense albeit you would think it could be instantaneous.

Black Rock Shooter (Debunoas) 14 April 2019, 11:05
SuDoku AFC wrote:
Used to be at 2am ...

It's been a while since I've been still up at that time of night so not 100% sure that's still accurate -
but certainly "overnight".
Yeah it's still 2am or there abouts

Rompmonsters (Andy) 14 April 2019, 13:49
Understated Excellence wrote:
Makes sense albeit you would think it could be instantaneous.
Teams play matches in different orders so by doing it once per day you limit the number of teams that climb the standings simply off the fact that they've played more games than the teams around them (there will still be some outliers but it looks like only 5 or 6 games are played before 2am per league on any given day and the rest take place after 4am)

From a computational perspective it's not necessarily worth allocating resources to something which doesn't directly impact game-play so I think once per day is a good compromise between keeping things up to date and not overloading the system with updates every 5 minutes (it would only really need to be run once per week from a purely functional perspective since the only time VIFA ranks are checked is for cup requirements at the start of the season)

Also, the fact there is a 2 hour gap in fixtures to me suggests that perhaps there is a lot more going on behind the scenes when the update runs (Could be part of an aggregate job which takes care of any number of tasks e.g. Inactive club cleanup etc)

Should add as a disclaimer: I'm not an expert, I have no actual knowledge of the inner workings of the game - I just like looking at numbers. I do work in computer science so I have some exposure to how teams do things but only really at a basic level and every team is different