Forums

Miscellaneous

Ideas for improving match simulation problems

Posted in Ideas/development

Newcastle U FC (Rolf Bergström) 27 September 2017, 02:19
Hello, in response to comments on another forum, here are some ideas of mine regarding game development relating to the game engine (match simulator) itself. These are no doubt all (very!) old chestnuts, but maybe worth an airing to see why nothing has been done to fix them or if there are any plans to do so.

1. Stop players with the ball at their feet (and not being challenged by any opposing players) from just wandering across the side line and off the pitch - it's very silly and frustrating.

2. Fix corners, either allow them or stop them from happening at all. At the moment I think I see about 1 corner every 8-10 weeks!

3. Fix offside - the offside decisions seem pretty random (EVEN more random than in real life) with many decisions just plain silly.

4. It's very annoying when the game action freezes (returns to the game status screen) when your player has the ball at his feet, is dribbling towards the goal and has no defenders in sight. He should be allowed to go on and attempt to score.

Though it was great to hear that you are looking to introduce bendy and variable set pieces, I think fixing these more fundamental faults is maybe a higher priority than looking at such "vanity areas".

5. On the subject of "vanity areas", it would be nice if you can retrain a player to a new position, as you can on some other games. For example if you have two ML players you may want to retrain one as an MC. Of course it wont be quick etc etc.but the training system could easily be adopted maybe to allow for training a new position.

6. The green slots on the pitch (where a player's position is optimised) seem limited for wingers; they can hardly go past the half way line before yellow squares indicate their performance will be compromised. Please consider extending forward a little the areas that wingers can operate without performance penalties.

Rolf

Understated Excellence (Messiah) 27 September 2017, 09:24
Fair points but even with a decent simulation eg football manager 2017, most people don't watch the matches after the first few games. Therefore is it a priority?

Maybe VM should send out a questionnaire asking what is important to us. Maybe even asking managers to rank areas of gameplay in terms of importance.