Forums

Miscellaneous

Player roles and responsibilities on vman

Posted in Ideas/development

Cant Score (Hello) 21 April 2019, 22:42
I know that currently the developers are working on a large youth player update but here are some ideas regarding game simulation and tactics, which would be interesting to see be implemented on the game as whilst being a managerial game the options for tactics seem rather limited. Maybe I’ve been playing too much FM19 of late but one idea would be to implement different player roles for each position.

For example in the tactics editor, a DC may have four roles to choose from in a drop down list, which may make sense for a manager to pick dependant on the play style he desires for his team, enabling players to be utilized dependant on their retrospective abilities. Many people have asked for the return of individual instructions and maybe this would be a simpler way to implement such an idea as opposed to having to invaluably select if each players mentality, play style, tempo and tackling in the current simulator which would be complex to implement.

I've listed some example roles/responsibilities which could be selected from a drop down list in the tactics editor with the DC position as an example to show what I mean.

Central Defender
Centre backs would act as they currently do in the game. Would be a default option in the game with defenders acting with a more ‘balanced’ approach, for players who do not want to potentially go in-depth with tactics and over complicate things this option would make sense. Similar to the current situation, tackling is by far the most important stat with (of cause with dribbling, passing and the physical stats having a relative importance).

Sweeper
Sweepers will not just require the good tackling alone expected in a superior DC but an additional focus on dribbling and passing is needed in order for a sweeper to be able to successfully launch a counter attack once the team has won back possession. Stamina would be the main attribute for such a player with the player having to get forward to launch the initial counter attack but also drop back in order to defend. (This would keep the pool of quality sweepers relatively low with most managers giving less attention to stamina when training defenders). If a team has a goalkeeper with the attributes required for a good sweeper keeper, this role would mostly become redundant.

Ball Playing Defender
This role would generally make sense for teams in the higher leagues (Division 1 and potentially 2) as defenders must require more than good tackling attributes but also the ability to pass the ball effectively, provided the player is of high enough quality a team would be able to build up attack from their defence against a generally weaker opposition. If a player with lower attributes tried this role, they could risk losing the ball due to poor passing relative to opponents tackling/speed deep within a team’s half and concede a goal resulting from such an error.

No-Nonsense Defender
This role may make the most sense when playing low rated central defenders in the lower divisions of the game or against a moderately superior opposition. Instead of defenders, stopping play or taking riskier actions such as passing the ball around in effort to play out of defence, defenders with the No-Nonsense Centre Back role still simply attempt to hoof the ball up the field in effort to clear potential dangers (Similar to the long ball mentality, though with greater loss of possession due to clearing the ball). The prime stat is by far tackling with a no-nonsense instruction, as other technical attributes are not required. This would generally make sense in a ‘Park the Bus’ mentality. Under this role, the player is relatively less likely to stay on their feet whilst defending and has an increased risk of a card.

Similar to the DC position I’ve used as an example there could be a couple of roles for each position in the game, E.G. the option for DL and DRs to act as either a full back or wing back. For instance, a wing back role would have more emphasis on attack, requiring greater speed and dribbling. This would lead to increased attacking chances with crosses delivered. However, this may lead a team with this tactic susceptible to counter attacks, especially if both the DL and DR are acting as a wing back, and would be left especially vulnerable if players don’t have good stamina to come back on defence in time.

Whittall United (Grant) 22 April 2019, 01:50
So basically player instructions.

The game did once have them, but they were removed as they didn't get used much.

There is quite a few people on here would like to see them comeback.

Kiwi Sails (Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aviero) 22 April 2019, 02:55
Whittall United wrote:

The game did once have them, but they were removed as they didn't get used much.

Although I haven't seen what it was like as I am new, I sometimes wish their was individual tactic changes.

Cant Score (Hello) 23 April 2019, 16:46
Whittall United wrote:

Basically yeah, anything along the lines of making the tactic editor more in-depth id be happy with as the next update after youth squads.

Understated Excellence (Messiah) 24 April 2019, 23:31
Isn't Football Manager copyrighted?