Forums

Miscellaneous

List of ideas

Posted in Ideas/development

I would like to present the list of ideas that I think would make this game better. I do this in every game that I really like. I don't wanna tell you should do this or that, but I want to provide well thought ideas on different game aspects. I based them on my experience with many online football managers and knowledge of what users want and like. I will just kindly ask you to maintain the constructive discussion in this topic

Community
I would appreciate it if it was aimed both on the international and national level. I know many Czech users in other managers I could bring in VM and I would like to build up Czech community here but the in-game features do not support national communities.
We (Czechs) don't have the game translated to our language, we don't have our own league so we have to register elsewhere, often the names of Czech players do not even resemble Czech, we don't have any official forum, our national teams are not working .. The list of Czech users is almost impossible to find. I found it only by chance and I don't remember where it was anymore.  After all I mentioned above there is no wonder I found less than 10 Czech users in the game and I have the best Vifa rank of them even though I play for only half a month.
Now I talk about Czech users only, but you could replace it with any other nationality. And this alone is potential loss of hundreds of users

Paid/Unpaid content:
Problem: Last 15 years I regularly paid for football manager games that are pay-to-enjoy. I was offered additional statistics, options to set a club logo, team kits, guestbook, graphs, training monitoring etc. Lots of small things that did not give me any real advantage over others, but I enjoyed them and gladly supported the development of the game.
        I am not strictly against the pay-to-win or pay-to-play concept if it is moderate. But I don't think that is the case with VM. The only thing I can do here without VM premium is trading. Everything else is limited.
 Enforcing users to pay if they want to play / reach a certain level is very discouraging. Especially for new users. I tended to quit the game because of it, but I liked other aspects of the game and spent a lot of time here, so I wanted to support the Devs by buying the VM premium. This is not my opinion only. I spoke with 3 other users who play/played the game and they all complained about this. And even if the things in the section Community above would be fixed, I still would not do any advertising because of the problems of this section. I would hate to explain to new users why it is like that and that I don't like it either.
Possible solution: Stadium - do not limit maximal capacity, but instead limit the maximal capacity of certain stands. Stadium will not look so nice and it will be more expensive to construct than with VM premium.
Youth players - I think it would be nice if even non paying users could pull 1 junior per week. It would be much friendlier towards them than it is now. With VM premium you could still pull up to 5 juniors.

Possible paid content that already exists and it is free now: Match kits, Assistant, Press releases, Friendlies, Training statistics, club logo, banner ... everyone that would make the game more pleasant to users

Languages
Problem: There are only 5 languages.  You are losing a lot of potential users because of it. I offered the translation on a forum but it was not met with any interest.
Possible solution: The game should be translated to many more languages. This job can be done by official linguists or any other user. There could be some small rewards for the work in the form of VM tickets.
Importance / difficulty to fix: high / easy

VM Premium
Payment gate
Problem: When a user clicks on the same links (youth players, talent scout, …) he is transferred directly to the payment gate. It is incredibly annoying and a user does not see the amount he should pay
Possible solution: When clicking on the link which leads to the content that is available only to the VM premium, he should be explained it is a paid content and directed to the Shop page where he can see how much he is going to pay for which content

Players
- names – Problem: the database of names contains plenty of names that are not real. The first name and surname are switched, some are women names, some are complete nonsense. They are all missing the diacritics as well. I read on a forum that this is the case with other nationalities as well.
Possible solution: regional linguists could update the database of names in their countries

Market
- searching – Problem: searching in free transfer, auction and searching for a staff  is a real pain and prone to script abusal
Possible solution: it needs either rework (market with coaches / coach recrutation etc.) and advanced searching options
Importance / difficulty to fix: high / high

Tactics
Problem: I see no impact of the tactical choices on the actual performance in the match. I find this a crucial problem in most of the online manager games.
Possible solution: The obvious solution would be to implement whole matches in the game. But it is tricky because there are 4-5 matches per day. On the other side I will always prefer this than additional statistics. Because it allows users to understand match settings the best and they can just continue watching highlights and if they want the additional info or just enjoy some important game they can watch the whole match
Importance / difficulty to fix: high / very hard

Manual
Problem:  Manual needs rework. I did not find many things in it and I had to ask other users or search the forums for the answers.
Possible solution:  It should be updated and common knowledge like the table with talent points etc. should be included in it. There should be an official guide for new users like the Noob Bible
Importance / difficulty to fix: high / normal

World
Problem: This whole section needs complete rework. I wanted to see the numbers of users in each region/country but instead there is information that I don't find useful at all. I
Possible solution:  I would like to click on the country and see the number of users, list of them and some basic information like in which league they are playing.
Importance / difficulty to fix: high / very hard

Training
Problem: You must log-in everyday to click on Training. If you cannot, you lose the training. You cannot have coaches without VM premium. This is another hard blow that discourages a lot of users.
Solution: Automatical training update at 11pm for everyone. Coaches should be acessible to everyone

Players
Problem: naming new juniors does not work
Possible solution: remove the option to name new juniors. If users wish to add some name in database, they can ask the regional linguist to do it
Importance / difficulty to fix: normal / easy

Problem: players height and weight and its ratio are completely broken; weight, height and foot have no use in the game
Possible solution: fix the numbers and give some use to these parameters and perhaps hide them till then?
Importance / difficulty to fix: normal / normal

Sponsorship
Problem: the current system is confusing. New users don't know how much to ask and all their applications are often refused.
Possible solution: give users the choice between several sponsorship offers. The offers can differ based on base amount and several bonus amounts. Users can choose the offer which suits them the most based on their seasonal goals.

Match
Players ratings in match settings
Problem: Players have the same rating no matter the position where they play. I can put a striker on the goalkeeper position and it will still show a rating 60. I will see that the field is yellow/red but I don't know how exactly it affects the player's performance
Possible solution: players rating displayed in match settings could automatically adjust if you place the player on a different position. The rating for each position could counted based on player skills for this position

Transfers
Problem: sales and purchases are switched. In pretty much all games the seller is on the left and buyer on the right. It is confusing here
Possible solution: switch the buyer and seller

Mail
Problem: user cannot see if other user read their mail
Possible solution:  read mails in Outbox could be colored differently
Importance / difficulty to fix: low / easy

Problem: there is no searching option
Possible solution:  users could search in mails by content or users names

Available objectives
Problem: I liked the system of objectives, but I really missed the information about the rewards for achieving them. The choosing of current objective is confusing for new users, because they don't know if they need to complete the chosen achievement or they can complete any other from the list and they will receive the reward
Possible solution:  Display rewards next to the objectives,  display all current objectives

Potential points
Problem: Users have to install external plugins to see features like Potential points. Searching for talented players reminds me searching for a staff.
Possible solution: I think that Talent points should be visible for everyone even without the VMANINFO. TP should be on player's profile as well as on the squad list and auction. Anyway I have asked Frederik if I can at least do the translation of VMANINFO to English so more people can have access to it.

Stadium
Problem: Users have to manually check for the condition of stands and click on Repair.  It does not add anything in the game.
Possible solution: the stadium maintenance could be fixed amount paid every day. There are possibly other solutions

Notifications
Problem:  When I sell some players I sometimes get many notifications because they were set in many tactics. I don't want to receive such notifications. But on the other hand I would prefer receiving notification when someone overbids my offer.
Possible solution:  Option to adjust what will be displayed in notifications

Auction
- searching – Problem: In auction I cannot tell if there are bids on players or not without clicking on the player and Interest page. I also cannot raise the autobid when I am on players page.
Possible solution: display number of bids on the auction page. Enable to raise autobid
Importance / difficulty to fix: low /  easy

Problem: The options to scout a team and to extend the staff contract are hard to find.
Possible solution: They could be on the Talent scout page and scout/trainer page

Forum
Problem: There are supposed to be hundreds of users online any time yet there is almost no discussion on forum except of the advertising of players. I think that means that there is something wrong and the forum should be reorganized.
Solution: Main sections could be VM International (for the discussion about the game), VM national (for the national community) Freestyle forum (for any other discussion) Player advertising forum (for selling and looking for players.) Users could have an option to add or remove other forums from the list they see
Importance / difficulty to fix: normal/normal

Another features that could need rework: player comparison

Cups
Idea: I have not joined any yet. But I think it would be nice if there was an official cup for each country (and only users from this country could join it) as there are no national leagues for such users and this would give users the option to play against users from their own country and keep more in touch.

Alex Samin (Alex samin) 16 July 2020, 12:55
These are some good ideas, I think this would be worth considering

Newcastle U FC (Rolf Bergström) 16 July 2020, 14:35
Good luck but sadly nobody is listening. I have seen dozens of great ideas exchanged over the last 5 years and in nearly all cases they are ignored and don't even receive a formal reply.

I have tried to suggest that the Developer create a forum for a genuine two-way debate on player-suggested improvements but sadly it always, (and I mean always) falls on deaf ears.
Well done trying though. I appreciate what you have said.

Rolf.

Alex Samin (Alex samin) 16 July 2020, 14:50
Newcastle U FC wrote:
Good luck but sadly nobody is listening. I have seen dozens of great ideas exchanged over the last 5 years and in nearly all cases they are ignored and don't even receive a formal reply.

I have tried to suggest that the Developer create a forum for a genuine two-way debate on player-suggested improvements but sadly it always, (and I mean always) falls on deaf ears.
Well done trying though. I appreciate what you have said.

Rolf.
Yeah true, I think the Devs only want to put the ideas that they come up with in place.

Thanks for your feedback guys. Some users already wrote me mails that I am wasting my time, that Devs don't listen to users here.

I offered further help (not just with the ideas) to Devs and now I am waiting for the response but I don' t put much hopes in it

Alex Samin wrote:
Yeah true, I think the Devs only want to put the ideas that they come up with in place.
You might be right about this. This is what Bubbles wrote few months ago:

"Right now I have a plan and a series of ideas that I am convinced have huge potential. But that's not enough for a serious investor. What most people don't understand is that ideas are worthless. The only thing that matters is whether you can bring them to life. Every person on the planet has a hundred brilliant ideas that will never turn into anything."

I have read the blog posts and I dont understand why there is so much effort put in the development of youth system. Personally I would put it at the bottom of the priority list. It is not a feature accessible to new users and users without VM premium cannot even have their own juniors.

Meanwhile there are so many huge flaws (some of them are pretty easy to fix) preventing new users from feeling comfortable in the game and settling down.

Alex Samin (Alex samin) 16 July 2020, 15:36
SK SLAVIA PRAHA wrote:
Alex Samin wrote:
You might be right about this. This is what Bubbles wrote few months ago:

"Right now I have a plan and a series of ideas that I am convinced have huge potential. But that's not enough for a serious investor. What most people don't understand is that ideas are worthless. The only thing that matters is whether you can bring them to life. Every person on the planet has a hundred brilliant ideas that will never turn into anything."

I have read the blog posts and I dont understand why there is so much effort put in the development of youth system. Personally I would put it at the bottom of the priority list. It is not a feature accessible to new users and users without VM premium cannot even have their own juniors.

Meanwhile there are so many huge flaws (some of them are pretty easy to fix) preventing new users from feeling comfortable in the game and settling down.
Unfortunately, this is the case with many good games though. The devs just ignore the requests of players and do their own thing(sometimes even making the game worse than it is in some cases in the opinion of the majority of the players that play it).

Manningham FC (HD) 17 July 2020, 12:56
These are all excellent ideas. I hope someone high up will read them. To be honest, this lack of engagement from the developer side has been the case for over 5 years - back a long time ago there used to be an old match engine and an old rating system for training, and developers pushed ahead with it even though there was some pushback on the forums (in so far as I can tell, it was mainly because it was the original developer's last wish before moving on). As a result, a lot of people left and I don't think the game has ever fully recovered since.

The reason for youth squads was primarily because for many years it was the #1 most requested feature, so it's definitely welcome, but not at the expense of devoting all the resources there when there are clearly so many more glaring issues that make new players less likely to stay. I think that the decline is also just down to text-based games being in their twilight years now.

Having said that, I still have yet to find a game quite like Vman: I can't see it dying. There is so much potential with it and I really hope that Dennis is successful in improving the game's fortunes.

Manningham FC wrote:
These are all excellent ideas. I hope someone high up will read them. To be honest, this lack of engagement from the developer side has been the case for over 5 years - back a long time ago there used to be an old match engine and an old rating system for training, and developers pushed ahead with it even though there was some pushback on the forums (in so far as I can tell, it was mainly because it was the original developer's last wish before moving on). As a result, a lot of people left and I don't think the game has ever fully recovered since.

The reason for youth squads was primarily because for many years it was the #1 most requested feature, so it's definitely welcome, but not at the expense of devoting all the resources there when there are clearly so many more glaring issues that make new players less likely to stay. I think that the decline is also just down to text-based games being in their twilight years now.

Having said that, I still have yet to find a game quite like Vman: I can't see it dying. There is so much potential with it and I really hope that Dennis is successful in improving the game's fortunes.
Thanks for the explanation of the background behind the youth squads.

It is true that this type of games is losing its popularity since many years. But I also agree that there is a much potential wasted in some hidden gems like VM.

I talked with one of the crew members and he refused my offer to help because I dont play long enough. I asked him to at least consider the proposed ideas and give their feedback. I see that there is a clear tension between users and the crew and I think I could help with that as well with many other things. But this is not up to me. Let's see if something happens.

I will continue to update the list of ideas meanwhile.