Forums

Miscellaneous

"NOT WOMEN'S FOOTBALL" ... ???

Posted in Off Topic

Rookery Park (Matt Colley) 9 July 2022, 22:01
SuDoku AFC wrote:
I completely agree with that smiley , thank you.

So, whoever is behind this message needs to sort themselves out because it doesn't make sense or do their cause any good, IMO.
They've got the right idea, but confusingly worded smiley

The Wrecking Crew (Gonzo) 9 July 2022, 22:41
I have a slightly different take on it. I believe it`s the word 'woman' that`s the problem for whomever might be. I do think there are some 'people' (read that Meg Rapino, amongst others) that don`t 'identify' as a woman and are truly offended by the term, as sad as that might sound. Now, I may be way off base with this assumption, but with the crazy chit I see going on these days, this would not surprise me at all. JMO.

Rookery Park (Matt Colley) 9 July 2022, 23:20
The Wrecking Crew wrote:
I have a slightly different take on it. I believe it`s the word 'woman' that`s the problem for whomever might be. I do think there are some 'people' (read that Meg Rapino, amongst others) that don`t 'identify' as a woman and are truly offended by the term, as sad as that might sound. Now, I may be way off base with this assumption, but with the crazy chit I see going on these days, this would not surprise me at all. JMO.
I can't stand Megan Rapinoe, very attention seeking and desperate to stay relevant

SuDoku AFC (Crew Member of the year) Crew 9 July 2022, 23:31
Well, tbh I was wondering whether that was the point too?

But then as they, whoever is behind the "advertisement", are using the word women's themselves I just couldn't - and still can't work it out.

To add to my confusion, if the first suggestion is the right answer, I've just now watched another match involving the winning team from the last Women's UEFA competition. Both the program presenter and then the match commentator referred to a stat of "no previous winner of the European Cup has ever lost their first match in the following tournament". Neither of them specified whether they are talking about both gender competitions, or the Women's game only. I don't know the answer off the top of my head for sure, but I suspect it will be the Women's game only. Either way it just confuses the stat when it's not made clear.

Then, again working on the basis that the first suggestion may be the reason behind this, the match commentator and stadium announcer were quoting the match attendance (twenty one thousand and something) as some sort of new record.
This can only be for the women's game as obviously both that Stadium and the men's game have much higher attendance records than that.

So, it seems they want us not to regard this as "women's football" - but they want to be making much of the increased interest etc by using the women's game stats without saying that's what they are.

The whole thing is daft IMO. Stick to what things are and stop worrying about upsetting a tiny minority over these totally insignificant plays on words. I'm sure just as many people get upset on the other side of the coin when things become so confused or unstated.

So far as any (born female) woman wanting to play any sport is concerned, my view is that they should have the choice of which gender to represent. If they are good Enough to play with men - and now identify themselves as male - then so be it. (Although the "changing room" etc issues aren't anything I'd want to be having on my head as manager of the team.)
So far as (born) men goes, I'm not personally happy with them playing in women's teams - or against female opponents, simply due to the birth physiological differences (advantages). I know this will not be a popular comment but so be it.

I'm Absolutely up for everyone being able to take part, and if that means that all sport now has to have a third competition for those no longer identifying as their birth gender, then that has to the result - and I would probably watch such sport - if the quality is good enough smiley

SuDoku AFC (Crew Member of the year) Crew 31 July 2022, 17:57

COME ON ENGLAND! smiley

SuDoku AFC (Crew Member of the year) Crew 31 July 2022, 20:35

YES S S S S ! ! ! ! ! smiley

Bolton Wanderers (Paul) Forum moderator 31 July 2022, 22:13
Excellent result smiley