Forums

Miscellaneous

Do you see this as cheating?

Posted in Ideas/development

Newcastle U FC (Rolf Bergström) 24 May 2017, 10:24
Cheating is bad and has no place in Virtual Manager, I think we all agree. However there seems some confusion, or call it a difference of opinion, about what cheating is, what should be permissible and what should not.

I am advocating that elite (i.e. top division) players doing cosy private deals with each other (via VM fora and mail) is cheating and should be eliminated from VM. None of the several VM Crew or Admin people I have discussed this with so far agree with me, which I have to say is both worrying (as they themselves are sometimes gaining from this "cheating" ) and disappointing, and so I urge you to sign this petition below if you agree with me that cheating should be kicked out of VM and that the administrators in Denmark need to engage with the fact that what they are allowing to happen is wrong, wrong, wrong!

What is the practice?

Players in top divisions, sometimes openly through fora, sometimes secretly via mail, say to other players "would you like to swap leagues with me?". Then at season end instead of changing countries and dropping down the divisions and having to spend a number of weeks (not a huge burden let's face it!) working back up to the top flight via successive promotions, instead they get a "free pass" to replace the other player in his vacated country league top division.

Why is this practice cheating?

Conventionally, how VM is designed, if you choose to swap countries then you are put in the new country's league at the first open slot, usually a lower league (for example 4th to 6th tier). Thus you have to spend maybe 3-5 seasons in the new country working back up to the top flight, taking a significant hit on gate receipts at the same time (as lower division games will attract fewer supporters). This seems entirely appropriate.

By cheating (players making private deals to swap top flight status with each other) then a number of things happen:

1. They do not forego any revenue (by avoiding playing in the lower tiers for a number of seasons) so get away with making vast sums of money (maybe 5 million at a rough estimate) despite choosing to change leagues.

2. It is completely unfair to the other teams in the top flights, as no sooner has an elite club left their league, potentially giving another team there a chance to go for the title, than some other elite team is miraculously parachuted into their league from nowhere, which is unrealistic as well as very, very unfair, distorting the league completely.

It is hard enough for "up and coming" teams to get to the top in this game, but with top teams playing the system to look after their own selfish interests, (in private deals between each other), it makes a mockery of VM's efforts to keep the game straight and sends the clear signal to newbies that cheating in VM is perfectly fine if you are one of the "old boys".

Please sign below if you agree with me. I hope that if enough ordinary players agree, then the VM administrators will finally get the message that it is wrong for top players to distort the game to their own advantage and to the detriment of other players.

The VM administrators in Denmark (that decide the rules for VM) meet periodically. We, the ordinary players, need to send them a very strong and very clear signal that they need to act to stop this unacceptable and absurd practice in our game, which they currently think there is nothing at all wrong with.

Thank you.

Whittall United (Grant) 24 May 2017, 13:10
So you're saying league swapping is cheating?

Thats your opinion mate, i dont agree, regardless of what you think, all thats happening is 1 top club is replacing another, if there was no swap, a top club would still remain.
League swapping has made no difference to any other club (other than you it seems).

I personally think you're making something out of nothing here, just because you dont agree, that doesnt make it cheating, nor is there any rules broken.

Newcastle U FC (Rolf Bergström) 24 May 2017, 13:29
Thank you but with respect, I am not interested in what moderators, crew or admin are saying about this, just what ordinary players may be thinking. Thank you.

Whittall United (Grant) 24 May 2017, 14:02
Newcastle U FC wrote:
Thank you but with respect, I am not interested in what moderators, crew or admin are saying about this, just what ordinary players may be thinking. Thank you.
With all due respect, i am an ordinary player like everyone else, just because im a moderator doesnt make my opinion on this subject any less important and the fact this is a forum for everyone, im entitled to post my opinion.
I would have the same opinion regardless of being a moderator or not.

You clearly have an issue with this subject, but calling it cheating when everyone can do the same and it breaks no rules is laughable to be honest.

Just out of curiosity, you've been here for 4 years, why all of a sudden is this a problem? It wasnt a problem when you moved country and gained from it was it.

Newcastle U FC (Rolf Bergström) 24 May 2017, 14:08
When I have swapped I have done so in an appropriate way and taken the hit on ending up in a lower league in the new country. My views on league swapping arrangements between players are clear, I just want to know what other players think, thank you. And yes, I do call it cheating as in my opinion it is cheating. Let us see if other players agree.

Whittall United (Grant) 24 May 2017, 14:13
Well it isn't cheating, its just your opinion on the matter, no rules are broken either, but you're breaking rules, please be aware:

1.5 - The Official English Forums are designed to be a public resource. All topics should be open to all users. Private discussions, and those which are designed to exclude certain users, are therefore forbidden. If you need to send another user a direct message, use the mail system. If you cannot, because you have been blocked or they only accept mails from friends, it is not acceptable to send them a message by posting a topic or comment in the public forum.

But im gonna let it slide this time just to see where this goes, attempts to exclude again will see this locked.

Rangers FootbalI Club (PK) Forum moderator 24 May 2017, 14:57
Mailing another manager who is in a top division, having earned that right, to ask to swap to another top division, is in no way shape or form cheating.

Why would Chelsea want to play in League 2 when they have earned the right and can perform extremely well in the prem?

Whittall United (Grant) 24 May 2017, 15:14
I've also changed the name of your topic, i dont feel it was appropriate.

Whittall United (Grant) 25 May 2017, 20:55
Only you think its cheating at the moment op.

Thought I'd give this an up for you smiley

FC Lotus Rangers (Ben James) 25 May 2017, 22:56
I can see it both ways, on one hand why should players get a free pass to the top of a certain country over others who have put in the time to work their way up, on the other hand, if the teams swapping are of 'equal standing' it's basically a straight swap, no biggie