Forums

Miscellaneous

Banners/Logo tutorials

Posted in Banners/logos

Whittall United (Grant) 23 December 2014, 23:28
Think i might start trying to learn how to do these, is Gimp the best thing to use for them?

The Dark Carnival (Orzel) 23 December 2014, 23:43
Grants Troops wrote:
Think i might start trying to learn how to do these, is Gimp the best thing to use for them?
GIMP is probably the easiest to master but I found it's pretty limited.

I use Paint.net (which is also free), which is a bit more complex imo, but if you've ever used photoshop, you'll find it's not too different. There's plenty of plugins for both, that are available for free online and give you various extra effects etc.

To be fair, if I'd spent more time with GIMP, I'd probably find it's not as limited as I remember, but I just preferred Paint.net from the outset

Whittall United (Grant) 23 December 2014, 23:45
I'll start with GIMP then, see how it goes smiley

Deleted club 23 December 2014, 23:45
Guys, you should definitely use Photoshop. Gimp, Photofiltre, ImageReady or other programs aren't nearly as good smiley

The Dark Carnival (Orzel) 23 December 2014, 23:51
Millennium wrote:
Guys, you should definitely use Photoshop. Gimp, Photofiltre, ImageReady or other programs aren't nearly as good smiley
Have you come across Paint.net? It's very similar to Photoshop, but a little more limited as it's freeware.

I'm not shelling out nearly £60 for something I do now and again as a hobby, when the alternative (Paint.net) is probably about 80% as good. If I could get hold of a crack copy of Photoshop then I would probably use it, but I'm not bothered enough about it to look for it lol

To be fair, I can create almost all of the same effects, just sometimes there isn't a tutorial so I have to use a photoshop one, then work out which tools to substitute to replicate the effect.

The Dark Carnival (Orzel) 23 December 2014, 23:56
For example, I wanted the glowing energy effect, but instead of taking me a few mins with photoshop, it took me around 45 minutes to work out which tools to use to replicate it, and adapt the effect into flames which is what I wanted. It's not perfect, but I'm pleased with it for a first effort:

Whittall United (Grant) 24 December 2014, 00:02
Millennium wrote:
Which photoshop is the best to use?

Edit: Gonna download cc

The Dark Carnival (Orzel) 24 December 2014, 00:10
Grants Troops wrote:
Millennium wrote:

Link me via mail?

Deleted club 24 December 2014, 00:10
Grants Troops wrote:
Millennium wrote:

Well i use CS5 because it's the one that i'm used to. Earlier i've used CS2 smiley

Deleted club 24 December 2014, 00:11
Carnival of Screams wrote:
Millennium wrote:
Have you come across Paint.net? It's very similar to Photoshop, but a little more limited as it's freeware.

I'm not shelling out nearly £60 for something I do now and again as a hobby, when the alternative (Paint.net) is probably about 80% as good. If I could get hold of a crack copy of Photoshop then I would probably use it, but I'm not bothered enough about it to look for it lol

To be fair, I can create almost all of the same effects, just sometimes there isn't a tutorial so I have to use a photoshop one, then work out which tools to substitute to replicate the effect.
Never heard of Paint.net, gonna check it out smiley

I've just downloaded Photoshop CS5 via uTorrent and now i'll just enter random keys every time i use it, it's not that hard smiley