Forums

Miscellaneous

Bad sportsman or good strategy.

Posted in General

Ipswich Town Allstars (Dunx Adams) 17 February 2019, 19:00
Yes I am exceptionally happy with the result even though I got beat in the semi (theres always next week). It is just the method he chose to win which i find unusual.

Port Vale F C (James) 17 February 2019, 20:16
Ipswich Town Allstars wrote:
Yes I am exceptionally happy with the result even though I got beat in the semi (theres always next week). It is just the method he chose to win which i find unusual.
Just imagine if after taking that 35m hit he still lost anyway. Any of the devs here that can run a simulation on his chances of losing?

The Dark Carnival (Orzel) 17 February 2019, 23:38
Ipswich Town Allstars wrote:
The team I am about to play in the Super Cup Semi final just bought 3 of my best players 20 minutes before the game. I see he also did this to the team he played in the quarter final.
It was my decision to leave my players listed, in fact i raised there prices yesterday by 5M each, so I am not complaining. However what does everyone think of a player who will do this in order to win?
It takes a fair amount for a Norwich fan to agree with one of you, but I don't really see another option. I appreciate that you've had a right result in terms of credit boost, but I just don't understand the logic of somebody who would resort to those kind of shady tactics.

If he is that desperate to win on a computer game that he will play like that then he needs to get out more. You either win or you don't, and I know history won't show how he won it, just that he did, but it really is quite pathetic imo. Who in their right mind could enjoy the satisfaction of winning when you know you cheated to do it (it is cheating in my book).

I can think of several words to describe somebody who would do that kind of thing, most of them 4 letters long. The most apt one though begins with a V and is six letters long, but I'll keep the forum PG. #RichardBranson

The Goon Squad (Very) 18 February 2019, 11:33
Understated Excellence wrote:
I'm waiting for Vinny to buy mine before our match
smiley the leages isnt worth that much to me lol

to the op id rather have the profit from the players then the super cup just win it next season, the manager who bought your players lost 30m in doing so it just wasn't worth it

Perinthos (ReallyOldGuy) 22 March 2019, 19:37
Entertaining post. I wonder how many of the managers that thought this was bad sportsmanship fielded a first XI entirely of players they bought. Personally I'd say its poor strategy to transfer list your team in the last two rounds of a competition if you want to win it.

You sold a player at the price you wanted. The buyer added a cup to his or her collection. Sounds like a win / win to me.

Yorkshire Knights FC (Jamie) 22 March 2019, 19:57
Perinthos wrote:
Entertaining post. I wonder how many of the managers that thought this was bad sportsmanship fielded a first XI entirely of players they bought. Personally I'd say its poor strategy to transfer list your team in the last two rounds of a competition if you want to win it.

You sold a player at the price you wanted. The buyer added a cup to his or her collection. Sounds like a win / win to me.
It is win / win I’d be over the moon selling my player for more than he’s worth, it’s still shady tactics though

The Goon Squad (Very) 23 March 2019, 02:17
Depending on how much money you have

If you sell players for a stupid amount and lose out on a cup then good because you made more on the player that you would have won in the cup and more fall you for having him listed smiley

Surly it's win win

Rompmonsters (Andy) 25 March 2019, 14:57
Perinthos wrote:

There's a big difference between having a team of players you bought and going out of your way to buy players to screw over your opponent. I field a first XI of players I bought, I didn't hunt down players on teams I was directly competing with which is the key part that makes this a questionable action.

I'd say it's bad sportsmanship to cripple an opponent for the sake of victory. There's nothing stopping you doing it and there shouldn't be but if you can't win based on the merits of your team and tactics then maybe a managerial game isn't the right one to be playing. Though in the end everyone has their own motivations for playing the games they do.

I do agree with your last point about it being a win-win, you get money and they get a chance at the cup but it's an underhanded tactic which in my eyes is exactly the kind of thing that falls under 'bad sportsmanship'

For me bad sportsmanship is acting in a way that shows a lack of respect for your opponents and the spirit of the game. No rules were broken but I too would feel bitter knowing that rather than strengthening his own squad his tactic was to weaken mine.