Forums

Miscellaneous

Is this a joke or what?

Posted in General

Whittall United (Grant) 21 April 2020, 02:09
So you want a boring and predictable game, got ya smiley

Well I and pretty much everyone else doesnt, what's the point in playing if you already know who you'll beat and lose too?
The game would be crap if it was like that.

Final Whistle (join) 21 April 2020, 02:29
Whittall United wrote:
So you want a boring and predictable game, got ya smiley

Well I and pretty much everyone else doesnt, what's the point in playing if you already know who you'll beat and lose too?
The game would be crap if it was like that.
This is complete and utter bullshit! Boring doesn't need to be predictable. Boring is not even bothering to make a tactic for your next match and just play the default as in the end it doesn't make any difference. It's what 95% of people play. Just if the results are unpredictable doesn't make the game at all more interesting. You could just have random results and you would be happy in your ignorance, because hey, the game is not predictable.
But tactics should be more like chess than like roulette. Knowing that if you see weakness in your opponent and have the right squad you can take advantage of that.
Fielding a 17 rated player and getting a draw in the 2nd division is making the game boring, why bother using fast forward against slow defender or high dribbling against low tackling?
BOOOORRIIIIINGGGG!!!!

Whittall United (Grant) 21 April 2020, 02:44
And that is utter bullshit smiley

Back to pokemon or whatever it is you kids play nowadays.

Copper Ridge FC (Manager of Copper Ridge FC) 21 April 2020, 03:41
FC Viitorul Constanta wrote:
This is complete and utter bullshit! Boring doesn't need to be predictable. Boring is not even bothering to make a tactic for your next match and just play the default as in the end it doesn't make any difference. It's what 95% of people play. Just if the results are unpredictable doesn't make the game at all more interesting. You could just have random results and you would be happy in your ignorance, because hey, the game is not predictable.
But tactics should be more like chess than like roulette. Knowing that if you see weakness in your opponent and have the right squad you can take advantage of that.
Fielding a 17 rated player and getting a draw in the 2nd division is making the game boring, why bother using fast forward against slow defender or high dribbling against low tackling?
BOOOORRIIIIINGGGG!!!!
I agree with you on 1 thing. The tactics could use improvement in VM. I don't think anyone would argue that point.......but.

As far as upsets go, I think VM is spot on. Most games go according to plan. Some favored teams have gone undefeated over a 30 game season. Yes, there are upsets, just like in every sport. I agree with Grant that this game would be boring as hell if things always went according to plan. I have been shocked at a game result in the past, but only a handful of times. I find it exciting to be on either end of those when they do happen.

There are 1000's of manages and there is no way of testing changes effectively, without them affecting everyone over a period of time. Even Youth Squads are affecting those of us that don't have them right now (indirectly). if and when tactics are improved, there will be no sure way of knowing how they will impact things overall. So, the developer has to be careful and take his time.

So, if you are expecting tactical improvements to be implemented and working perfectly in the near future, VM is probably not for you IMO. I can't speak for the developer. But, as a simulation game developer myself (mostly in the past), I know what he is up against.

I hope you will take this as constructive criticism. I am not trying to be mean. But, if you are not having fun now, and you cannot wait what may be an extended time period for improvements, maybe it is time to move on ?

Cheers mate

Frankies acre bhoys (all players transfer listed) 23 April 2020, 11:39
https://www.virtualmanager.com/new_matches/72908750

Shots
2 - 11
Shots on target
1 - 9
Ball possession
47% -53%

Final score:
0 - 2

Tactics: Shoot on sight vs Shoot on sight
Playing with Increased tempo and Extreme Tackling.

Chances estimate:
FC Viitorul Constanta: 34.4%
Uafgjort: 28.2%
Raiders IF: 37.5%

How can he shoot 11 times compared to only 2 and of the 2 only one was an actual game highlight. I mean come onnnnn!!!
It's not the first game I lost, and I have also won matches that seemed unfair (notably this one https://www.virtualmanager.com/new_matches/72907213/summary ), but not in this manner.
The positioning of my defensive players was a joke, while his defenders were spot on despite not being correctly positioned. And the difference of chances I have never seen a poorer match!
Event the first match played away was more normal than this one: https://www.virtualmanager.com/new_matches/72906978/summary

First thought after seeing the match was: TL everything, kill the premium and log off forever.
Now what do I do?
like all football,shocks happen

Ginni Devi Modi IOE (Decland Wren) 23 April 2020, 17:28
Low Achievers wrote:

Ikechi Anya once scored against Manuel Neuer. At least his reaction is similar to your face every time you see your latest results though..
You mean this guy?
https://www.fifaindex.com/player/169100/ikechi-anya/fifa20/

With finishing rated at 56 ? smiley
Yeah, that's a whole lot more than 17. also in real life there is no penalty for playing out of position for stats. You need to make a difference between game and reality. In a game it's assumed that you play based on some rules.
So if the rule says that there is a 0,01 % chance to receive a goal from a 17yo against a top keeper while your forwards have 40-50% to score against a mediocre keeper, and you have 4/6 shoots on goal against 1, you expect you win the game by a margin, not that you draw it.
I haven't played thousands of matches but results like this make me field my youths squad and pray for results, as it seems miracles happen everyday! Most against my squad, despite trying to optimise my chances
Ok if we are going on stupid here you go...

Jonathan Tah (player for Leverkusen), who has a finishing rating of 20, scored against Roman Burki (85 overall GK) with a right footed shot last season.

And just to put it out there again... this is a game, why do you take it so seriously?

Final Whistle (join) 23 April 2020, 19:27
Ginni Devi Modi IOE wrote:
And just to put it out there again... this is a game, why do you take it so seriously?
Because I hate to lose, especially when the odds are in my favor , which doesn't happen all that often smiley

And because one of the selling points of VMan was its "highly advanced" match engine. And I'm feeling a bit tricked into playing and investing the time to only find out that more than 50% of the games are random, and everybody accepts this as ok.

So in what does the gameplay consists?
Spending months to build up decent training facilities, decent stadium, decent team and finally after a year to get my a$$ kicked by a 17yo from the youth squad.

Copper Ridge FC (Manager of Copper Ridge FC) 23 April 2020, 20:04
I am lucky to have 1 moderate upset per season. So, maybe you just have bad luck.

Bad luck can happen. For example, I have been playing almost 2 years. For the first 1 and 1/2 years, I never even was able to create a single 15 y/o player that was even a borderline talent. I don't think anyone believed me when I said that. But, it was true.

Over the last 6 months, things have changed for the better. I haven't hit on any formidable youths. But, I can often at least get an OK player on occasion (and 1 promising player).

I just don't see a problem with the match engine results (game results). Yes, the tactics should factor in more in a perfect world. But, the results match reality pretty well IMHO.

Final Whistle (join) 23 April 2020, 23:52
Copper Ridge FC wrote:
I am lucky to have 1 moderate upset per season. So, maybe you just have bad luck.

Bad luck can happen. For example, I have been playing almost 2 years. For the first 1 and 1/2 years, I never even was able to create a single 15 y/o player that was even a borderline talent. I don't think anyone believed me when I said that. But, it was true.

Over the last 6 months, things have changed for the better. I haven't hit on any formidable youths. But, I can often at least get an OK player on occasion (and 1 promising player).

I just don't see a problem with the match engine results (game results). Yes, the tactics should factor in more in a perfect world. But, the results match reality pretty well IMHO.
It's not the occasional upset that made me angry, it's a whole season of it. I almost relegated last season with 8-9th highest rating.

And upsets in my favor rarely balance the ones against. Seems today is my lucky day with not one but two upsets in my favor, but the truth is I've kinda lost hope in the match engine and the high degree or randomness in the results.

I only had one or two seasons since I started playing when I exceeded expectations but at least 5-6 where I relegated by 1 point or by goal difference when I had a top 12 squad.
Now I'm not expecting on the long term to have the random in my favor... Despite trying to optimize most matches. When I play shoot on sight the opponents keeper saves all the shots despite being of a lower rating, sometimes saving as much as 9 shots on target. When not playing shoot on sight I mostly shoot 1-2 times, barely scoring a goal from time to time.
At the same time I see my defenders placement is a joke, despite trying to have them on the right positions. I'm pretty sure not as many people have watched as many games as I gave for the past 4-6 season since I've built a stronger team. But what seemed to be working turned out to be just a random series of good results, which is disappointing

Low Achievers (Aaron) 24 April 2020, 00:30
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz